Dear Newhope Families and Community,
Welcome to the start of the 2023-2024 school year! I hope your families are doing well and that you had an opportunity to recharge over the summer break.
I am honored to have the opportunity to continue to lead Newhope with such determined students, dedicated teachers and staff, and a supportive school community.
I have been a part of the Garden Grove Unified School District family for over twenty years. I started as a Language Arts/AVID intermediate teacher supporting English learners and GATE, in addition to collaboratively building a culture of college and career readiness. I subsequently served as an instructional coach/TOSA supporting all students in all subject areas in grades 7-12 throughout our district. Most recently, I served as an Assistant Principal at Santiago High School providing resources and support to our students, teachers, and families. I am thrilled to bring my skills as an educational leader to Newhope Elementary School the last two years and to work with you as a partner in education to ensure the success of all of our students.
On a personal note, my husband and I have two children. Our daughter will begin 8th grade and our son will begin 11th grade. I have a strong appreciation for language, diversity and culture largely because of the multi-lingual and multi-cultural household that I grew up in.
I view education as a life-long process and expect that I will continue to learn much about the uniqueness of Newhope Elementary School not only this year but well into the future. Most importantly, I bring a belief that students are at the center of all school-related decisions. I am excited to unite my experience, my openness to learn, and my student-centered approach to support Newhope.
A friendly reminder to please be sure to download the APP ParentSquare, as this is the primary way to receive the most updated district and school information for your child. Also, please be sure to complete data confirmation and update your emergency contacts through the Aeries Parent Portal. Our school office is always here to help you in case you need assistance.
Thank you again for your support and I look forward to meeting you all in the near future.
Welcome to Newhope!
We are proud to be a neighborhood elementary school within the Garden Grove Unified School District serving the communities of Santa Ana and Fountain Valley. Newhope students enjoy a well-rounded curriculum and are supported by our Parent Teacher Organization (PTO). Our teachers benefit from Garden Grove’s research-based professional development which provides quality instruction to Newhope students. The Newhope campus has 3 modern playgrounds and our kindergarten playground has a covered shade patio with a modern play area. We provide a variety of academic interventions during the school day and we have an array of after-school enrichment programs.
Programs- During The School Day & After-School
Newhope has many programs and after-school activities to benefit our students academically and beyond. Our 1:1 ratio for technology devices (Chromebooks & iPads) in grades 1-6 allows for more personalized learning. As a result, students leave Newhope with computer skills that support their transition to intermediate school. During the school day, all students enjoy a weekly vocal music class. Additionally, students in grades four through six can elect to participate in GGUSD’s award-winning instrumental program. Our fifth and sixth-grade students may also choose to participate in our chorus program. Newhope is well known for hosting Disney Musicals in Schools and having a cast of 60+ students involved in grades 3-6.
Newhope is implementing programs to promote a positive behavior focus, where we recognize students in a monthly assembly for demonstrating our schoolwide expectations: Respect, Responsibility, and Safety. We extend opportunities for students to make a positive impact on the campus through Student Council in grades 4-6. Finally, Newhope students benefit from weekly visits to our school library, which includes a wide collection of fiction and non-fiction children’s books.
After school, the Newhope campus is full of activity! We offer extended learning in a variety of academic and enrichment areas to support our students:
- Disney Musical In Schools: An afterschool performing arts program that begins the fall and introduces students to theatre training of song, dance, and acting with a commitment to biweekly rehearsals and performances. Profits from the production help fund and sustain this program for the next school year.
- Boys and Girls Club Program Newhope also receives special grant funding for after-school childcare and enrichment for grades TK-6 through our on-site Boys and Girls Club program. Registration forms are available in the office.
- Contact the Newhope Supervisor- 714-376-7651
- Imagine Learning is a web-based program that supports our students who are new to the country with the acquisition of English. Newhope is proud to offer this tool to our English learners.
- AVID Elementary is a college and career framework for younger students to develop scholarly habits. Newhope is a “Certified” AVID elementary site because our teachers provide AVID study skills at every grade level. This program is designed to help students with organizational skills, and strategies to increase motivation and bring college and career awareness.
- AVID Homework Club: Students who need more support with time management and study skills attend two days after school with AVID-trained staff.
- Before & After School Intervention: Teachers provide opportunities for students who need extra support with pre-teaching and reteaching of essential skills in reading, writing, and math.
- College and Career Mentoring Program (CCMP): Every 6th grade Newhope student is invited to participate in a 6-week college mentoring program that is led by a successful former Newhope student who is now in college. The purpose of this program is to prepare our students along the pathway to college, which includes the development of a growth mindset, goal setting, and a shared set of expectations.
- OC GRIP is a community partnership with the Orange County District Attorney’s Office to provide prevention and intervention to students and parent education and involvement to create a safer community. In addition, the OC GRIP team partners with community organizations to help school communities. Newhope is proud to have OC GRIP support our school community.
We hope that a wide array of programs and supports will make each student reach his or her maximum potential. Please contact the office for more information on the special programs we offer.
Parent Involvement Opportunities
Newhope PTO supports many activities during the calendar year including our Fall Fundraiser, Spirit Wear Sales, After school snack sales, Jog-a-thon, Parent Dances, and fun community events. Our PTO raises funds each year to provide field trip transportation for our students and also supports all of our community events that make Newhope an inclusive and motivating school environment for our students and families. To get involved in our events and give input on the programs we offer, please attend a monthly PTO meeting or our quarterly School Site Council meetings. Also, our OC GRIP morning greeter program and our mileage club are wonderful places to volunteer on campus! If you would like to become a regular school volunteer, come by the office to pick up the GGUSD Volunteer Form. We have Spanish and Vietnamese Liaisons available daily to answer any parent questions about your child’s education.